American School of Valencia (ASV) recruits teachers and staff through direct application. Below is a summary of the qualifications of a successful candidate and the responsibilities of any teaching or staff position. Vacancies will be always posted on this section of the ASV website as well as on the ASV profile page on The International Educator (accessible only to registered users). In addition, vacancies will also will be posted on the ASV LinkedIn page.
Essential qualifications and experiences
The following is a brief list of qualities the successful ASV candidate would possess:
- A bachelor’s degree in subject area or a related educational field.
- A minimum of two years’ full-time teaching experience in a school setting.
- Knowledge of the American curriculum, educational philosophy and teaching methods.
- Recent professional development and knowledge of best practice in education.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with the integration of technology into the curriculum.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding collaborative skills and a desire to work in a team-focused environment.
- Native or bilingual speaker of English.
- An advanced degree in subject area or a related educational field.
- Knowledge and understanding of international teaching experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of Spanish history and culture.
- Experience teaching International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (for high school applicants).
- Prepare courses and plan curriculum with other members of the department/team and liaise with other departments/grade levels as appropriate.
- Exhibit knowledge of current trends, pedagogy, research and topics of importance in the teaching of subject area or grade level.
- Monitor and evaluate students’ progress, prepare for parent conferences, grade assessments and complete report cards, etc.
- Take responsibility for the safety and well-being of all students, while delivering an engaging and challenging syllabus.
- Perform any other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, as requested by the school.
Compensation and Benefits
- Professional Development (combination of on-site, international conferences and visiting consultants)
- Spanish or English Language Development Program
- Work Visa Expense Reimbursement
- Relocation Travel Stipend
- Additional Baggage Allowance
- Housing Location Assistance
- Healthcare (through Spanish national healthcare system or private healthcare at a minimal cost)
Detailed information regarding compensation and benefits are provided during the interview process for each individual candidate.
American School of Valencia accepts resumes on a year-round basis. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume as an attachment to the Director, Mr. Michael L. Smith, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate for which position you are applying in your cover letter and email.
Child Protection Statement
American School of Valencia is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and all applicants must be willing to undergo the appropriate background and reference checks to work with students at our school.
Full-time Positions for 2020-2021
(announcement updated on Tuesday, July 7, 2020)
The American School of Valencia is seeking teachers to cover the following positions during the 2020-2021 academic year:
High School Economics and Social Studies Teacher
- Full-time position. Starting on August 24, 2020
- Degree in Economics or in a similar area.
- Teaching certification (CAP, Master for Secondary and Baccalaureate teaching, or equivalent certification).
- Bilingual speaker both in English and Spanish (required certificates: B2-C2 for Spanish; C2 for English)
- Teaching experience.
- Knowledge of the International Baccalaureate Program
Middle School and High School Spanish and Valencian Languages Teacher
- Full-time position. Starting on August 24, 2020. Description and expectations available here.
- Degree in Philology
- Teaching certification (CAP, Master for Secondary and Baccalaureate teaching, or equivalent certification)
- Specific teaching certification for Valencian Language
- Teaching experience
- Some knowledge of English language
Middle School-High School English Teacher
- Description and expectations available here.
Qualified candidates may send a cover letter, CV, and references to email@example.com.