American School of Valencia (ASV) recruits teachers through international job fairs and direct application. Below is a summary of the qualifications of the successful candidate and the responsibilities of any teaching position.
Essential qualifications and experiences
The following is a brief list of qualities the successful ASV candidate would possess:
- A bachelor’s degree in subject area or a related educational field.
- A minimum of two years’ full-time teaching experience in a school setting.
- Knowledge of the American curriculum, educational philosophy and teaching methods.
- Recent professional development and knowledge of best practice in education.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with the integration of technology into the curriculum.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding collaborative skills and a desire to work in a team-focused environment.
- Native or bilingual speaker of English.
- An advanced degree in subject area or a related educational field.
- Knowledge and understanding of international teaching experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of Spanish history and culture.
- Experience teaching International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (for high school applicants).
- Prepare courses and plan curriculum with other members of the department/team and liaise with other departments/grade levels as appropriate.
- Exhibit knowledge of current trends, pedagogy, research and topics of importance in the teaching of subject area or grade level.
- Monitor and evaluate students’ progress, prepare for parent conferences, grade assessments and complete report cards, etc.
- Take responsibility for the safety and well-being of all students, while delivering an engaging and challenging syllabus.
- Perform any other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, as requested by the school.
Compensation and Benefits
- Professional Development (combination of on-site, international conferences and visiting consultants)
- Spanish or English Language Development Program
- Work Visa Expense Reimbursement
- Roundtrip Airfare (beginning and end of contract)
- Additional Baggage Allowance
- Housing Location Assistance
- Healthcare (through Spanish national healthcare system)
Detailed information regarding compensation and benefits are provided during the interview process for each individual candidate.
(updated on Tuesday, June 26, 2018)
- Secondary Science Teacher
American School of Valencia accepts resumes on a year-round basis. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume as an attachment to the Director, Mr. Michael L. Smith, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate for which position you are applying in your cover letter and email.