Teaching and Staff Positions
American School of Valencia (ASV) recruits teachers and staff through direct application. Below is a summary of the qualifications of a successful candidate and the responsibilities of any teaching or staff position. Vacancies will be always posted on this section of the ASV website as well as on the ASV profile page of The International Educator (accessible only to registered users). In addition, vacancies will also will be posted on the ASV LinkedIn page.
Essential qualifications and experiences
The following is a brief list of qualities the successful ASV candidate would possess:
- A bachelor’s degree in subject area or a related educational field.
- A minimum of two years’ full-time teaching experience in a school setting.
- Knowledge of the American curriculum, educational philosophy and teaching methods.
- Recent professional development and knowledge of best practice in education.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with the integration of technology into the curriculum.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding collaborative skills and a desire to work in a team-focused environment.
- Native or bilingual speaker of English.
- An advanced degree in subject area or a related educational field.
- Knowledge and understanding of international teaching experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of Spanish history and culture.
- Experience teaching International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (for high school applicants).
- Prepare courses and plan curriculum with other members of the department/team and liaise with other departments/grade levels as appropriate.
- Exhibit knowledge of current trends, pedagogy, research and topics of importance in the teaching of subject area or grade level.
- Monitor and evaluate students’ progress, prepare for parent conferences, grade assessments and complete report cards, etc.
- Take responsibility for the safety and well-being of all students, while delivering an engaging and challenging syllabus.
- Perform any other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, as requested by the school.
Compensation and Benefits
- Professional Development (combination of on-site, international conferences and visiting consultants)
- Spanish or English Language Development Program
- Work Visa Expense Reimbursement
- Relocation Travel Stipend
- Additional Baggage Allowance
- Housing Location Assistance
- Healthcare (through Spanish national healthcare system or private healthcare at a minimal cost)
Detailed information regarding compensation and benefits are provided during the interview process for each individual candidate.
American School of Valencia accepts resumes on a year-round basis. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume as an attachment to the Director, Mr. Michael L. Smith, at email@example.com. Please indicate for which position you are applying in your cover letter and email.
Full-time Positions for 2019-2020
(announcement posted on January 28, 2019 and updated on July 26, 2019)
The American School of Valencia is seeking teachers to cover the following positions during the upcoming 2019-2020 academic year:
- Grades 4-10 Choral Music Teacher (Full-time).
All Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree and relevant teaching experience. They also must be native English speakers or do have the C1 language certificate.
Please feel free to send a cover letter, CV and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Substitute and Part-time Teachers
(announcement updated on July 9, 2019)
The American School of Valencia is seeking temporary substitute and part-time teachers and support staff to collaborate with our world-class team of educators. All Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree, relevant teaching experience and must be European Union citizens or hold a valid work permit in Spain.
At this time, the school is looking for temporary substitute and part-time teachers and support staff in the following areas:
- Upper Elementary (Grades 4 and 5) Substitute for Fall 2019
- Middle School and High School Language Arts/English
- Middle School and High School Mathematics
- Middle School and High School Science
- School Secretary (must be able to work in both Spanish and English)
Candidates must be native English speakers or do have the C1 language certificate.
Please feel free to send a cover letter, CV and references to email@example.com and the school will contact suitable candidates to serve in our substitution pool.