American School of Valencia (ASV) recruits teachers through international job fairs and direct application. Below is a summary of the qualifications of the successful candidate and the responsibilities of any teaching position.
Essential qualifications and experiences
The following is a brief list of qualities the successful ASV candidate would possess:
- A bachelor’s degree in subject area or a related educational field.
- A minimum of two years’ full-time teaching experience in a school setting.
- Knowledge of the American curriculum, educational philosophy and teaching methods.
- Recent professional development and knowledge of best practice in education.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with the integration of technology into the curriculum.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding collaborative skills and a desire to work in a team-focused environment.
- Native or bilingual speaker of English.
- An advanced degree in subject area or a related educational field.
- Knowledge and understanding of international teaching experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of Spanish history and culture.
- Experience teaching International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (for high school applicants).
- Prepare courses and plan curriculum with other members of the department/team and liaise with other departments/grade levels as appropriate.
- Exhibit knowledge of current trends, pedagogy, research and topics of importance in the teaching of subject area or grade level.
- Monitor and evaluate students’ progress, prepare for parent conferences, grade assessments and complete report cards, etc.
- Take responsibility for the safety and well-being of all students, while delivering an engaging and challenging syllabus.
- Perform any other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, as requested by the school.
Compensation and Benefits
- Professional Development (combination of on-site, international conferences and visiting consultants)
- Spanish or English Language Development Program
- Work Visa Expense Reimbursement
- Roundtrip Airfare (beginning and end of contract)
- Additional Baggage Allowance
- Housing Location Assistance
- Healthcare (through Spanish national healthcare system)
Detailed information regarding compensation and benefits are provided during the interview process for each individual candidate.
American School of Valencia accepts resumes on a year-round basis. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume as an attachment to the Director, Mr. Michael L. Smith, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate for which position you are applying in your cover letter and email.
(updated on Wednesday, February 28, 2018)
- Early Childhood Teacher (Preschool Ages 2-5)
- Preschool and Elementary Guidance Counselor
- Secondary English/Language Arts Teacher
Specific Openings for the Summer Program
(added on Monday, February 5, 2018)
American School of Valencia is looking for teachers, teaching assistants, physical education teachers, coaches and lifeguards for the ASV Summer Program. Read on this document the requisites, desirable qualifications and experiences, responsibilities for each position, and how to apply.